The country’s culture seems to “celebrate” the idea of workaholic, presenteeism, the pretend, etc. We hear stories about people staying up late at the office, “leaving his skin” by his company, remaining as “heroes” for some people...
The people must know, workaholism is absurd and unproductive. Everything is against:
- Working more does not mean you do better your work, only means that you work more.
- There comes a point at which the worker creates more problems than solves, specially true if you are performing a complicated task as programming, something that requires your full attention, being able to go back instead of forward.
- When the employee knows that he is going to be all day in the office doing the same thing, without other possibilities... do we really think that this person is 24 hours dedicated to his project? ¿Do we really believe that is possible at full capacity?
- This abuse at work has an expiration date, is not maintainable over time. Sooner or later, the staff will finish burning, become no longer useful.
- Some people don’t look for ways of do their work more efficiently, it seems that even they like to work more than necessary. Probably they feel more important doing that, feeling more useful in the office than outside, in real life...
- Collateral effects: workaholics do seems to other people, those who serving their time, that they are less than them, that they do less for their company. Many provokes a feeling of guilty for go home when the workaholic stay. In the end, some people just stay more time in the office, even if they aren’t doing anything productive.
- Another disturbing fact is that workaholics are unable to make logical decisions to optimize their tasks. They can’t decide which task is worth spending extra effort because they are always “doing it” for all. Thus end tired, unable of make good decisions.
- Over time, you’ll see that the workaholic do not make more than the others, they just spend all day on it.
This picture resume good enough what we should do to avoid workaholism:
- Work is a never ending process. You can never finish all the work.
- Interest of a client is not more important than your family.
- If you fail in life, your boss or client will not be the person to offer a helping hand but your family and friends will be.
- Life does not mean coming to office, going home and sleeping. There’s more to a life. You need time to socialize, exercise and relax. Don’t make your life meaningless.
- A person who sits in the office until late is not a hardworking. He is a fool who doesn’t know how to manage work within the stipulated time. Beside he is a loser who does not have personal or social life.
- You did not study and struggled in life just to be a machine.
LEAVING OFFICE IN TIME
- More productivity
- Good social life
- Good family relationships
LEAVING OFFICE LATE
- Less productivity
- No social life
- No family life
Do you feel identified with something written in the article? Don’t you think that is enough of this culture of presenteeism? If you know someone like that, let him know... he isn’t helping to anyone, not to himself, or to the people around him.