In these days, is mandatory to have knowledge of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) in the world of web development. No matter if it is for a personal website, a blog or an online store, if you don't appear in search engines like Google, Bing or Yahoo... the website will be not found.
In the case of Drupal, its community provides a good amount of modules that help us to create content, optimizing our website so the search engines can be more generous.
Here is the list of the 10 more useful:
- Pathauto: essential to generate friendly URLs on all pages, allowing create patterns for each content type and with the possibility to update all web links at once.
- Page title: we can take better control of web pages titles that appear on the top of web browsers, something that is very important.
- XMLSitemap: the best sitemap generator for Drupal. You can create different sitemaps for each language, which is basic if you have a multi language website like this. If the sitemap.xml file is not created and sent to Internet search engines, they will not index the pages easliy.
- Google Analytics: is the best free tool of web analytics in the market. You just need to activate your Google account, get the unique code and configure the Drupal module to start the analysis.
- SEO Compliance Checker: this module notifies you each time that you save content, indicating if certain SEO parameters are met such as all the images have "title" and "alt".
- SEO Checklist: a full compilation of tasks and actions to do to prepare Drupal for web positioning.
- Meta tags: allows add metadata automatically to each page generated in Drupal. You can also add specific metadata to some page if necessary. It is vital to create description tags and keywords according to each content to help visibility.
- Redirect: with this module you can quickly fix the 404 errors ("page not found") that often occur when some contents are deleted or have changed the names of the URL. Essential if you change of domain.
- Global Redirect: a way to avoid headaches with Drupal redirects and its 'node/XXX' is to use this module. It automatically redirect such links to the corresponding friendly URL, among other things.
- Services links: in these days has become essential the possibility of share content on social networks, distributing faster the more interesting. With this module, you can choose the most popular social networks and also, select in which content types to be displayed.
- Mollom: Wordpress CMS has Akismet to filter advertising or spam comments, something very useful when the website begins to be recognized by search engines. An alternative that works pretty well for Drupal is Mollom. To do this, create a free account on their website and activate it on your Drupal configuration. After that, the comments will be automatically moderated by Mollom, avoiding lots of spam and other types of undesired comments. Includes a CAPTCHA system for automated robots.
The world of SEO is constantly evolving. What now seems to help positioning your website, maybe will be useless in no time and even detrimental, as the case of the abuse of keywords in the header of the page. Almost every search engine ignore them right now.
It is appreciated the help that provide this modules, facilitating us the maintenance of Drupal Web projects.